Saturday, July 21, 2007

Bottled Water

I'm sure I'm not the first to talk about bottled water, but I'll go ahead anyway. I too buy bottled water, tea and the like but never really thought too much about it until tonight at dinner. I was reading a bottle of FIJI Natural Artesian Water that my step-daughter bought. Don't know what she paid and don't care. She bought it. She must like it, It's about the only kind she buys.
Now I believe that most places like the ones that bottle for Wal-Mart and other name brands probably use plain old water from the pipe and filter it someway or other before they bottle it. Very few will claim it comes from a specific location and is bottled in its pure form from location to bottle. Ozarka in Arkansas is one of them I know of. Fiji is another. But what really caught my attention is it is artesian water. Unlike what I would call a regular well that must be pumped out, this water is expelled from the Earth under it's own pressure and forced through "Fiji's" bottling system. As the bottle states; " Bottled at the source, natural artesian pressure forces the water through a hermetically sealed delivery system free of human contact. It is never exposed to the environment. At least until you unscrew the cap."
Well that would wrap up the hermetically sealed part. I haven't heard that used since Carnac The Magnificent on The Carson Show. If your not sure who that is, look him up on Google.

Wait, that's not all on the water though. I like my water cold, clean, crisp tasting. I don't drink much really good water anymore. Not since I worked for the Water Department and drank it straight from the pipes underground. Man, That was good tasting water. Well it seems that this Figi water coming from an artesian well may not be so clean and pure, even if it tastes good. Now this may not seem like much to you but here is what it contains per the bottle claim.
85 mg/liter of silica, 17mg/l calcium, 13mg/l magnesium, 140mg/l bicarbonates and the big one....210mg/l of total dissolved solids! DISSOLVED SOLIDS? I want to know what kind of solids and why they dissolved them just to get them in the bottle. Maybe I'm taking this a step too far, but there are just somethings I'm not gonna eat or drink. This I believe will be one of them.

I'm gonna read a lot more bottles from now on. How about you? Anybody out there ever see other drinks like this? Let me know and I'll add them to my list.

1 comment:

rhonda romack said...

Okay first of all I have tasted this figi water and it taste the same as all the other waters out there. As for it never been touched by human hands thats crap. See my blog for more on this bottled water thing...